Abolição viaduct will change traffic situation around Engenhão stadium
On the path toward preparing Engenhão Stadium for the 2016 Olympics, the Abolição Viaduct will reveal its benefits to the population long before the start of the Games.
On the path toward preparing Engenhão Stadium for the 2016 Olympics, the Abolição Viaduct will reveal its benefits to the population long before the start of the Games. The structure is being erected over the Linha Amarela Expressway and will create a new exit from the stadium in the direction of the neighborhood of Barra da Tijuca, in addition to re-opening for the circulation of vehicles the area between the beginning and end of the street Rua da Abolição, interrupted 15 years ago by the expressway construction work.
– Those leaving Engenhão currently have two options for going to Barra: or they can take the “Suburbana” (Av. Dom Helder Câmara) or they have to go through the inside. That gets confusing because the streets are very narrow and you don’t have the capacity for all the traffic, thereby creating an operating problem – explained Engineer Eduardo Fagundes, Manager of Special Road Projects for the Municipal Department of Public Works.
With the new viaduct, the drivers who in the future are on the street Rua das Oficinas – the North Sector of Engenhão – will be able to reach the neighborhood of Abolição without having to go around the stadium to access the street Rua Piauí and the avenue Av. Dom Helder Câmara. This route will be opened through Rua da Abolição itself, currently a dead-end street.
– To build the viaduct, we need to always leave the side lanes freed up, since we need to be able to enter the properties that continue along it. So here, we will have a viaduct in the middle, lanes on the two sides and the contour below. For this reason, we’ll take care of the city planning as well, revitalizing this area with lighting, a small park and structures to make this here safer – said Eduardo Fagundes.
The new connection will also improve the lives of those who work on the street Rua da Abolição. Full of bars and auto shops, as well as other points of commerce, the lack of a direct path takes up time and also means more fuel consumption.
– Today, it’s very bad crossing from one side to the other, since the way around takes so long. Now, when I have to make deliveries on the other side (in Engenho de Dentro), I’ll be able to come back directly. It will even save me money – said delivery boy Roberto Luiz, who must make several daily trips on his motorcycle.
In order to build a viaduct over Linha Amarela, the engineers had to choose a technique that would prevent even the partial closure of the expressway. The structure will have a free span of approximately 70 meters, which will be built using the technique of successive overhangs, in which the concrete parts are assembled on both sides until they join in the center of this span.
– When constructing this system, we won’t need to make any closures on Linha Amarela or on the ramps, where we used the most space possible along the sides, without closing the expressway at all. This will allow us to minimize the effects for those who must travel along it – explained the engineer.
The first project in the Olympic package planned for the area surrounding Engenhão Stadium, the Abolição Viaduct should be ready by September of this year. After it, in addition to the other interventions that are already taking place in the region – such as the installation of new drainage networks – the streets surrounding the stadium will be completely re-planned, giving the neighorhood of Engenho de Dentro a whole new look.
– We know that the exit from Engenhão is currently quite bad. Therefore, we needed to create a faster and safer exit. Today, there are those who don’t come here because they are not familiar with the area. In the future, there won’t be any error: people will exit the stadium and continue directly toward their destination – said Eduardo Fagundes.